- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 42 minutes
- Total Time: 62 minutes
|2 lb||Ground Beef|
|2 Tbsp||Bacon Grease|
|1¼ cups||Roughly Chopped Roasted Red Peppers, commercial your own home roasted|
|⅔ cup||Italian Flavored Breadcrumbs|
|2||Large Garlic Cloves, crushed and finely chopped|
|2||Large Eggs, beaten|
|¾ cup||Coarsely Grated Onion|
|1 cup||Freshly Grated Romano Cheese|
|1 Tbsp||Minced Fresh Marjoram|
|2 tsp||Dried Crushed Red Pepper|
|½ tsp||Coarse Kosher Salt|
|½ tsp||Freshly Ground Black Pepper|
|2 Tbsp||All Purpose Flour|
|Spicy Tomato Sauce:|
|32 oz||Tomato Sauce|
|2 Tbsp||Dehydrated Onion Flakes|
|1 tsp||Granulated Garlic|
|¼ tsp||Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste|
|1||Medium Yellow Onion, peeled and sliced|
|1 Tbsp||White, cane sugar|
|1||Medium Green Bell Pepper, cored, seeds remove, and roughly chopped|
|2||10" Italian Hero Rolls|
|¼ cup||Grated Parmigiano-reggiano Cheese|
|8||or More Slices of Fresh Mozzarella|
1. In a bowl, thoroughly combine the ground beef, bacon grease, roasted peppers, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, eggs, Romano cheese, crushed red pepper, marjoram, and salt and pepper.
2. Divide the ground beef mixture into 4 even portions. Shape each portion into 1-inch thick, oval hamburger patties, about the width of the hero rolls.
3. Construct a dredging station by placing 2 tablespoons of the flour onto a flat, shallow dish and dredge, on both sides, each of the patties in the flour.
4. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil reaches the ripple stage add the patties and sauté them until they are nicely browned, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the burger patties and keep warm.
1. Add the tomato sauce to the same sauté pan. Stir in the onion flakes, granulated garlic, pepper flakes, the sliced onions, the tablespoon of sugar and the roughly chopped bell pepper.
2. When the sauce begins to boil reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer the sauce, uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. After the sauce has simmered for 15 to 20 minutes taste and correct seasoning of the sauce to your taste. Return the beef patties to the sauté pan insuring they are covered with some of the sauce and allow the patties and sauce to simmer, covered, for about 10 to 20 minutes.
construction and service:
1. Slice two Italian hero rolls in half length-wise, place the roll bottoms on a rimmed cookie sheet. Place two of the burgers, one following the other, on each roll bottom. Spoon some of the sauce, onion, and peppers over the burgers and sprinkle each sandwich half with ½ the Parmigiano-Reggiano and finally cover each sandwich halves with several slices of fresh mozzarella.
2. Turn on your oven's broiler and place the cookie sheet under the broiler and broil until the mozzarella begins to melt and become bubbly.
3. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven, place the hero roll tops on the bottoms, slice the rolls in half width-wise so that each half has 1 burger on it, plate each of the halves on a separate serving plate and serve immediately.